Just when you think you know everything there is to know, life surprises you and becomes one of your biggest learning experiences yet.
You know that feeling you get before you go on a really big roller coaster? You know, a little nervous, yet super excited? You’ve spent all day, or week even, talking about how you were going to conquer this coaster and now you’ve finally been given the opportunity to do so! So now here you are, standing in line, and your nerves hit you full force. You can’t understand why because you’ve spent all day on the smaller coasters to work yourself up to this one. Finally, it’s your turn. You go onto it still afraid, but hoping to create one really good story out of it.
Well, that’s exactly how I feel right now. As you know, I’ve been participating in pageants for a really long time, and so, I do feel as though I have prepared myself for this moment. But for some reason, I am feeling a whirlwind of emotions like no other. I’m known to never get nervous, and so this is a totally new feeling to me. Here I am, after years of preparation and 6 months as Miss Teenage Ontario, packed and ready to head out to Toronto this afternoon. I’m about to embark on the most exciting adventure of my life, and am without a doubt, nervous.
I suppose it’s good to be nervous. It’ll keep me humbled and on my toes at all times. It also proves that I’m human. Just like you, I too am anxious when embarking on a new journey. But here’s a few things that I’ve told myself or have done to keep me grounded and calm:
- I am more than my crown. The judges and contestants do not know me beyond what they see, and so it is my responsibility to let my true personality shine through. Stay true to yourself, and don’t let your excitement (or nerves) get in the way of showing everyone what you as an individual has to offer.
- Stop to smell the roses. With such a busy and exciting week ahead of me, it can be easy to get caught up in the moment and picture taking, that i’ll forget to simply enjoy the moment. Yes, pictures are great, but experiences are even better.
- Make a new friend. With so many new people surrounding me, I can only hope to make at least one really good new friend. But of course, I already know that I’m about to gain over 80 new sisters. Embrace everyone’s differences, and be sure to help out whoever needs it.
- Don’t compare. Everyone is different, weather it be their body shape, hair colour, clothing or nail polish colour. Yes, everyone is beautiful, but don’t forget that you are too. Comparing will only lead to insecurities. Embrace yourself for who are and let that confidence shine through.
- Family is #1. After spending my night yesterday with all of my aunts, uncles and cousins, I am feeling much more relaxed and ready for this. They were all encouraging and yet, made me forget about all of my pressures. When in doubt at all during the week, don’t forget that they are only 1 text away.
- Breathe. Breathe. Music. Push up. Sit up. Jump. My pre-pageant routine. Don’t forget it. It has helped 100 times before and will be sure to help this time too. If you have to plug in those headphones while getting your makeup done, do it. There’s no shame in focusing on yourself for a little while.
I am confidant, I am prepared, I am ready for this.
I have a lot of people to thank, beginning with my family and friends. They all know how much I appreciate their support and am so thankful to have them around. Believe me, they all will receive personal thank you’s once this week comes to an end.
I would also like to thank all of my corporate sponsors or supporters. Kimberly from Thirty-One provided me with the most amazing packing essentials that I am so grateful for! Kimberly is so generous and kind, she offered to provide me with these things without even asking. I am beyond excited to have her come and watch me at prelims this upcoming Friday!
As well as my personal trainer Alex, from Bodies By Design. He has been incredible!! He pushes me to do my best and I can already see the improvements. Like I said in my Fitness Adventure blog, working out has always been about feeling confidant to me and I can without a doubt say that I have accomplished that. I may not be a size triple 0, but I am proud of my progress and comfortable in my own skin.
Lastly, I would like to thank No. 1 Boutique for all of the amazing clothes for pageant week! Thanks to them, I’ll be looking super fashionable every day! Just what I need, right?
So what now? Well, now I hope for the best. I dive into this with an open mind and vow to do be the best Michela that I can be.
Of course, goals are important to have too. Without them, there is nothing to steer you in the right direction. With that being said, my goal is make the top 5. A little ambitious of myself, but I know I can do it. Winning would simply be a privilege that I would be honoured to have, but for now, I am content with simply placing in the top 5.
I know that this is going to be a life changing event and I promise that I will share every last piece of it with you when I get back, or if you’re lucky, throughout the week! Don’t forget to check out my social media pages to see what I’ve been up to during the day.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Michela P. <3